On 2008-06-16, Brad Walker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-06-16 at 14:33 -0400, Jason Dixon wrote:
>> >
>> > X and T thinkpads are in the majority. There are a lot of
>> > trade-offs between different models though, you'll have to do
>> > some research to work out what's good for you.
>>
>> I purchased a X40 for travel to and work at c2k8.  The only problem I
>> had was with the iwi(4), which doesn't resume properly.  I replaced it
>> with a mini-pci ral(4) that resumed fine.  But the ral(4) had issues
>> with hostap mode.  jsg@ fixed that shortly into the hackathon.
>
> FYI, newer Thinkpads have mini-pci cards whitelisted in the BIOS. One
> can't install a ral(4) in them without hacking the BIOS (not
> recommended).
>
> http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problem_with_unauthorized_MiniPCI_network_card

I have an X40 and an X32, the X40 does not need the BIOS to be hacked,
just change a byte in the CMOS RAM. Quite a different matter, and very
easy to do (ports/misc/tpwireless).

aiui X32 does need the BIOS hacking. But in my case I just used the
ath(4) that came with the X40 (already whitelisted in the X32 and *way*
better than the iwi), and put a ral(4) into the X40... Looks like ebay
is also a viable source for the good cards.