That's not true.  If you have a signed piece of paper saying I wrote it
in mm-dd-yyyy you are good to go.  The same way patents work; prior art
can be proven by writing your idea in an engineering notebook (you know,
pen and paper!) and then signing it.  Since those notebooks are usually
in chronological order they are considered valid pieces of evidence.