Quoting Chris Tankersley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

[cut]
> >> I have a development web server set up for httpd, mysql5 and php5
> that
> >> has all of a sudden started randomly pausing. After some testing
> >> (removing PHP modules, httpd conf settings, etc) it seems that
> simply
[cut]
> Yes, even going down to something as little as <?php echo 'Hello
> World'; ?> has a 5-10 second response time.
[cut]

So ...

1. anything in the httpd error log (/var/www/logs/error_log?)

2. if you run the test script above from the command line, same problem (that
is, is it a problem with PHP, or PHP within Apache?)

3. does php -i on the command line show anything useful or the same slowdown?

4. seems strange that it was all working until recently - *anything* changed
recently on the box, however unrelated it might seem?  Any network changes
(DNS?), patches applied?  Disk space OK?  Anything unhappy in the logs?

I'm running on a similar-ish set-up and have no slow-down issues:

# pkg_info
gettext-0.16.1      GNU gettext
libiconv-1.9.2p5    character set conversion library
libxml-2.6.30       XML parsing library
mysql-client-5.0.51a multithreaded SQL database (client)
mysql-server-5.0.51a multithreaded SQL database (server)
p5-DBD-mysql-4.005  MySQL drivers for the Perl DBI
p5-DBI-1.59         unified perl interface for database access
p5-Net-Daemon-0.43  extension for portable daemons
p5-PlRPC-0.2018p0   module for writing rpc servers and clients
php5-core-5.2.5p2   server-side HTML-embedded scripting language
php5-mysql-5.2.5    mysql database access extensions for php5
popt-1.7p0          getopt(3)-like library with a number of enhancements
samba-3.0.28        SMB and CIFS client and server for UNIX
unzip-5.52          extract, list & test files in a ZIP archive
vim-7.1.244p0-no_x11 vi clone, many additional features

# uname -a
OpenBSD blah.blah.blah 4.3 GENERIC#698 i386