On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 12:31:14PM -0400, Heimdall Imbert wrote:
> Hahaha, I wanted to say the same thing but figured that this wouldn't be an
> appropriate venue for a discussion of this nature.  But since someone else
> brought it up, I figure I might as well add my two cents. I currently run
> Debian and Windows XP on my laptop and I use it as a learning tool (because
> I am nowhere near a guru unlike many of the people here!).

I am nothing like a guru, and nothing approaching a programmer.  I
cannot write a simple shell script without rereading parts of man
pages to remember how it goes; sometimes I cannot even write a
simple XHTML file without consulting the definition at w3.org to
remember how it goes.  I have never used Windows, I used Linux
only briefly, and since then I've used nothing but OpenBSD (except
where I have a shell account on a machine that belongs to someone
else, and then only remotely).  In my opinion OpenBSD is the
ultimate learning tool, perhaps largely because of the high
quality of its documentation.  Also because on mailing lists like
this one the developers are willing to tell it straight however
the rest of us may react (I view that in itself as a form of
generosity).  You just have to commit to reading carefully and
with patience (mainly towards the gradual accumulation of your own
understanding).

I think the widespread view that OpenBSD is only, or mainly, for
gurus is an unfortunate myth.  On the other hand, it may be true
that OpenBSD is only, or mainly, for people who are willing to
read carefully and patiently, and who understand and accept how
OpenBSD is offered to the world for free.  I believe that the
latter point could be better and more widely understood.

cheers,
-wb
(Who's received his copy of 4.4 late last week, and thanks the
developers for another job (predictably) well done.)