On Tue, Dec 02, 2008 at 10:08:49PM +0100, Peter Hessler wrote:

> minor problem.  X doesn't repaint the screen into text mode when it
> panics, so its not possible to read anything.

I'm aware of that.  Though, the OP simply mentioned not having a serial
port.  Nada about there being nothing to read.  Also, curious how one
can tell the machine panic'd rather than simply not repainting the
screen if there is nothing there.  Typing blindly and see what happens?
The OP hasn't mentioned anything like this.

> You can try `boot reboot`, or `boot dump`, either might give you
> information, but its not guarenteed.

The Xorg log for the failed session wouldn't hurt either.  Unless X is
spinning, the old log would be rotated and saved.

: CVSROOT:        /cvs
: Module name:    src
: Changes by:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]     2008/11/24 16:00:33
:
: Modified files:
:         sys/dev/pci/drm: ati_pcigart.c radeon_cp.c radeon_drv.c
:                          radeon_state.c
:
: Log message:
: Work around the stupidity of radeondrm by double checking that things are
: running before we play with things.
:
: Lots more cleanup needed, but now you can shut X without it crashing.

Suspicious, no?  Does the OP's source tree contain that fix?  I'll just
re-iterate my suggestion to use a vanilla GENERIC kernel from a snapshot
or -current.  Dropping kqemu to rule it out also does not hurt.  Trying
a kernel with drm and radeondrm disabled might also help to narrow down
the cause.