Henning Brauer wrote:
> * Philip Guenther <guent...@gmail.com> [2009-01-06 00:40]:
>> On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 11:15 AM, Claudio Jeker <cje...@diehard.n-r-g.com>
>> wrote:
>>> Any DB that needs human help after a crash is in my opinion a bad choice.
>> So that would rule out the ldbm backend, no?  Last I checked the libc
>> btree code, a crash while writing out a page split would corrupt the
>> subtree.
>
> I am using openldap with ldbm backend in an not exactly small
> installation for 9 or 10 years now. I have never ever experienced a
> broken database. never.

I second that,

5+ years of ldbm backend usage without any problems. We've had
poweroutages, disks running full, all sorts of mischief, but never a
problem with corrupt ldbm databases. Ever. I *did* have thee times of
huge trouble with bdb as a backend. Two times with unexpected halts of
the system after which the slapd process would simply not be able to
read the bdb files anymore and one time with a prickly problem where I
needed to upgrade my database because bdb was updated on that system
(not a major release mind you, 4.x to 4.newer_x).

I know this is all not very scientific evidence regarding the stability
and robustness of bdb, but I guess it is hard to forget the pain that
came from using bdb in the couple of times I had to or did so
unknowingly. Mind you, the last time I've used bdb is 4 years ago.
Things might have changed these days.