On Tue, Jan 06, 2009 at 04:50:54PM -0500, Ted Unangst wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 4:39 PM, Jacob Meuser <jake...@sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 06, 2009 at 09:29:37PM +0000, Jacob Meuser wrote:
> >> this was deep into another thread, so I'm reposting so it will be seen
> >> by more people (hopefully).
> >>
> >> so azalia users please let your voice be heard.  would you find it annoying
> >> when playing *only* mono or stereo to have all outputs play the audio,
> >> or would you like that?
> >
> > let me clarify a little.  the output jacks would still be mutable as
> > they are now, but they would be getting the mono or stereo stream.
>
> I'd find it surprising that suddenly playing something on the back
> channels changes where front channel audio goes.

well, it doesn't really change that.  if there is different front and
rear output, that would imply two dacs are in use, and this wouldn't
be applied in that case.

>  This does not match
> my experience with other stereo equipment, where one must always
> request 4 or 6 channel stereo.

from what I've seen, there is usually an option to "spread" stereo
input across all channels.  this is pretty much what would be
happening.  I could make this optional through a mixer control, but
it could only be changed when the device is not open for playing/
recoding.

--
jake...@sdf.lonestar.org