So, if my understanding is correct (and I am not a coder or developer
so I may be about to humiliate myself with my ignorance here, but
please bear with me for a minute) the infrastructure has been added to
net80211 via the new ieee80211_notify_dtim() function, but it's up to
the individual drivers e.g. ral(4) to call this function appropriately
to enable Power Save Polling in HostAP mode? Or am I way of the track?

I'm just trying to evaluate if it's worth maintaining my OpenBSD
access point or look to other options (e.g. a COTS access point with
PSP implemented, bridged to the OpenBSD host via ethernet)?

I know there are at least a few other people subscribed to this list
who have implemented OpenBSD as a wifi access point, some in quite
"open" environments e.g. universities - how are they coping?

Many thanks to all who are bearing my whining here!