On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 12:24:28AM -0500, David Heinrich wrote:
> I am trying to install OpenBSD 4.4 amd64 onto my system. I obtained
> the install CD ISO from
>
> ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/4.4/amd64/install44.iso
> and
> ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/4.4/amd64/cd44.iso
>
> (the same thing happens whether I use the full or mini boot CD made
> from those ISO files).
>
> If I boot from the CD, and let the CD auto-boot (or if I start typing
> when prompted with the "boot>" prompt and then type "boot"), it goes
> through the startup messages, and stalls at the "softraid0 at root"
> step. The boot hangs on "Softraid0 at root".
>
> I can't find information on this in the archives, and I have tried
> typing "disable softraid" and searching for how to disable softraid
> with no success. A friend suggested "boot -d" to boot in debugging
> mode, but this didn't give me any debugging options and just went
> through the normal boot, again stalling at softraid0. If this is
> something where the answer is online but I haven't been able to find
> it, please refer me to the site.
>
> If not, any ideas as to what I should I do? Should I file a bug report?

Since the problem does not happen on -current there isn't much point to
filing a bug report. It would just be closed with 'Fixed in -current'.
:-).

> I also downloaded the install45.iso from the snapshots ftp directory
> as of 02/19/2009 12:11:00 PM. That install ISO gets beyond the
> "softraid0 at root" (that line and prior is same as with 4.4), and
> gets to:
>
> <QUOTE>
> root on rd0a swap on rd0b dump on rd0b
> erase ^?, werase ^W, kill ^U, intr ^C, status ^T
> (I)nstall, (U)pgrade or (S)hell?
> </QUOTE>
>
> It then says available disks are "wd0 sd0 sd1 sd2 sd3"; I presume the
> sd0 - sd3 are because of my CF card reader. However, I don't want to
> install the latest beta-versin of OpenBSD; but can I use the current
> ISO as a launch-platform for installing OpenBSD 4.4?

The "latest beta-version" of OpenBSD is pretty close to being what will
be released as 4.5. So you should want to use it if possible because
testing it now and finding a bug will mean the bug can be fixed for 4.5. Bugs
in 4.4 that are already fixed hold significantly less interest to developers.

You may be able to install 4.4 with the 4.5-beta boot media, but then you
probably end up with a broken system. This might be useful info to track
down what bug you have stumbled across, but see my first paragraph above.

And a dmesg of the broken kernel is always required for any problem
analysis.

.... Ken