Hi misc@,

As some of you may have noticed, smtpd has been enabled in the
build and we encourage you guys to start testing it and report
bugs you run into.

What would be great is if you could replace your sendmail with
smtpd on your laptop/desktop and started using it as a backend
for your mua; or if you could set it up on some test box where
you receive mail (with a secondary MX) as a destination MX.

PLEASE do not run this in production, it is NOT ready. Really,
don't do it, you will be unhappy and I will point my finger at
you and laugh. Really ... don't.

To test it, you must follow -current, then:

1- cvs up
2- cd src/usr.sbin/smtpd; make && make install

3- make /usr/sbin/makemap a symbolic link to /usr/sbin/mailwrapper:
        rm /usr/sbin/makemap; ln -s /usr/sbin/mailwrapper /usr/sbin/makemap

4- save /etc/mailer.conf somewhere and create one that reads:

send-mail       /usr/sbin/smtpctl
makemap         /usr/libexec/smtpd/makemap
newaliases      /usr/libexec/smtpd/makemap

5- run `newaliases` once to rebuild the aliases database
6 - start smtpd by typing `smtpd`

you can make sure your openbsd system starts smtpd rather than
sendmail by adding:

smtpd_flags=""

to the /etc/rc.conf.local file.

Please, do not spam the list with reports of success or failure,
instead you can send them to: smtpd-...@poolp.org

Thanks !
Gilles

--