On Fri, May 8, 2009 at 12:34 PM, Chris Harries <ch...@sharescope.co.uk> wrote:
> This is more of a grammar/wording question, but it does go on to the
> security of OS's in general.
>

> Was having a read of this;
>
> http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2009/04/15/ibotnet-trojan.html
>

> And the last comment made me think about OpenBSD. The article closes by
> saying "this shows that no OS in inherently safe" but they are comparing Mac
> and Windows. Could the same also be said about OpenBSD. This here problem of
> downloading a dodgy copy of Photoshop which opens you up for a BotNet is
> something that can effect all OS's.but is that completely true? Can the same
> thing happen to an OpenBSD machine and is there no way around this?

Oh my God! Not again a thread about absolute and inherent security!

> An OS is ultimately about the user as well, My XP machine is fine, but my
> friends are all ridden to shit, not so much these days with new'er Windows,
> but few years ago everyone's PC was a nightmare, so you take the risk
> downloading a file from BitTorrent of course, but is there measures to
> prevent this happening in the first place, is OpenBSD as open to this as
> Mac/Windows or is it inherently more secure (of course I know it is but im
> aiming that question more specifically at this kind of scenario)

We could debate why OpenBSD is inherently more secure than Windows (in
fact we could debate why almost any operating system is inherently
more secure than Windows). The point here is OpenBSD is inherently
more secure because of the development process, because it's
completely open source software, because there are great developers
that understand problems and know how to solve them and code it
properly, because there is a big community behind, etc, etc.

In one sentence: please, use whatever you think it suits you. There
are things you can't easily do in OpenBSD, like running Quake, so use
the best tool at your disposal. For me, Linux and OpenBSD are the best
tools at my disposal.