On Sun, May 24, 2009 at 07:48:27PM -0400, Predrag Punosevac wrote:
> A friend of mine who is an avid NetBSD user kept complaining about how
> bad is audio on NetBSD. After getting sick of hearing complains,
> I asked on OSS mailing lists about OSSv4 support for NetBSD and OpenBSD.
> I actually got a very interesting answer
>
> http://www.4front-tech.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3133
>
> I recall OSS being discussed on this mailing list after OSS went
> open source and changed the license. Can Jake or any other developers
> in charge of audio on OpenBSD explain the issues involved in porting
> OSSv4 to OpenBSD?

Jacob explained why the job is technically hard for OSS
devs. Also since ports don't use the OSSv4 API, it would be
of limited usefulness.

> I personally have fantastic experience with our audio but I would
> think that OpenBSD could benefit at least from extra audio drivers.
> Am I very wrong? Sorry for the noise.

in theory it could be possible to borrow certain OSS drivers and
to tweak them to become part of our kernel. But:

 - if the sound card is not documented (OSS uses NDAs for
   certain drivers), we would take code that we don't
   understand and that we're unable to maintain, leading to low
   quality code. By doing this we indirectly support
   development model using NDAs, which is wrong. Not motivating
   for me.

 - for documented sound cards, we often already have
   drivers, and given the difference between our kernel
   internals and OSS internals, it's easier to just write
   our own driver.

IMO the most important is to have quality support for _all_
integrated audio devices (azalia, ac97, cmpci) so audio just
works and support few well-identified professional cards
(envy, usb) for advanced applications. It's more about
quality than supporting a lot of devices.

-- Alexandre