On 2009-05-27, irix <i...@ukr.net> wrote:
> Assume that you are right and the traffic can Shape only outlet
> for what purpose then in other projects (freebsd, linux, netbsd)
> including  the original altqd opportunity for shaping incoming traffic
> via CDNR has been included?

so, let's look at FreeBSD's manpage.

     ALTQ_CDNR   Build the traffic conditioner.  This option is meaningless at
                 the moment as the conditioner is not used by any of the
                 available disciplines or consumers.

or a fairly recent NetBSD list post:

        The input limiter absolutely doesn't work under NetBSD-3, it seems,
and I've found some other posts on the web that seem to confirm this.
[...]   I have a NetBSD-4 build of this box, which is an embeded system, which
I could deploy in this application, but it's not a trivial exercise to do
so.  So, I'm wondering if anyone has used and can report whether the input
traffic conditioner actually works to limit traffic on input traffic under
NetBSD-4.

On 2009-05-27, (private) HKS <hks.priv...@gmail.com> wrote:
> What?

If you want to throttle all your clients to, say, 512Kb/sec, you need a
stack of separate queues, and a stack of match rules for them. You can set
them up individually via pfctl/pf.conf but it's a bit messy, you'd probably
want to do part of it via some script or preprocessor. (I think using a
shell script to generate a file to include would be viable though).

Real dynamic queues would be created and destroyed on-the-fly which
could help it scale a bit further, but I don't know how useful it would
be, the first thing that comes to mind is memory use, but each extra
queue doesn't use _all_ that much from the pool unless it's actively
in-use. There might be problems other than memory when using a huge
number of queues, I don't know, never used more than a handful here...
something for someone who has a big setup to look at and profile, really.