Hello ,

>>> But under dynamic queues, I understand, the creation of a large number of
>> dynamic patterns.
>>> For example creates template for the queue with an indication of the speed
>> such as 512Kbit / s,
>>> and then creates template for the filter of which you can
>>> specify a subnet like 192.168.1.0/24 and this pattern break this subnet to
>> the desired number of rules in this case,
>>> to 254, and under each This rule will create a dynamic part of the dynamic
>> pattern of 512Kbit / s for each rule.
>>
> On 2009-05-27, (private) HKS <hks.priv...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> What?
>

> If you want to throttle all your clients to, say, 512Kb/sec, you need a
> stack of separate queues, and a stack of match rules for them. You can set
> them up individually via pfctl/pf.conf but it's a bit messy, you'd probably
> want to do part of it via some script or preprocessor. (I think using a
> shell script to generate a file to include would be viable though).
>
> Real dynamic queues would be created and destroyed on-the-fly which
> could help it scale a bit further, but I don't know how useful it would
> be, the first thing that comes to mind is memory use, but each extra
> queue doesn't use _all_ that much from the pool unless it's actively
> in-use. There might be problems other than memory when using a huge
> number of queues, I don't know, never used more than a handful here...
> something for someone who has a big setup to look at and profile, really.

Similar  constructions  shaper  frequently uses in local area networks
ISP (in russia,ukraine),
where  one  powerful  computer can be up to 6-7 thousand clients.
Use  of  these  computers tend to linux or freebsd (with dummynet (real
dynamic queues with src and dst masks:)))

Here in such cases it is simply indispensable.

I found the patches
which  allow  you to add queues altq through pfctl (may be useful, and
add to main tree :) )
http://dinar.yantel.ru/patches/openbsd/merge/

And this patch remove altq when interface is destroy

http://dinar.yantel.ru/patches/openbsd/altq/patch_pf_if.c
--
Best regards,
 irix                          mailto:i...@ukr.net