Hello,

Iam looking for a way to have an allowed list of SSL enabled sites
that a end user can browse, but this entirely done on a server level
with _zero_ configuration on the pc.

In a dream world, squid would be able to tranparently proxy https and
thus I would create  an allowed list of ssl sites specific to each LAN
user (based on private IP or MAC) that he/she can access. As we know
this isnt the case because this breaks SSL.

Does anybody know a way I can actually accomplish this?

My Thoughts:
I thought of a way to then take my list of SSL enabled sites
(gmail.com for example) and resolve the domain to an IP and then add
it in a firewall so that X user has
access to port 443 for only those specific IPs.  However the downside
to this is that if gmail (or any other site i do this) changes the IP
(which they will) the firewall rule which is static would need an
update. Besides gmails https hostname resolves to the same IP of
google.com A records so I would be fiddling with those at the same
time and thus basically be allowing or disallowing the entire google
domain when I truely really wanted just an access list of gmail.com.

Would there be a way to make then some type of sniffer which would
capture when users try to enter a https site and then somehow create a
dynamic rule of some kind to let traffic out based on an allowed list?

There must be a practical way, right guys?

Thanks

--Matt