Matthias Kilian wrote:
> And if you install something like wine, the knob is set back to 0,
> probably without any notice (at least in ubuntu-8.10).

That can explain why it's off on my system (karmic koala).

By the way, this is from the debian wiki:

Debian 5.0.3 ships with a default mmap_min_addr of '0'. This means that
the Debian system, by default, is susceptible to these NULL-pointer
privilege escalation techniques. Unless you know that you have
applications that require this functionality, it is recommended that you
increase the value of mmap_min_addr on your system.

Off by default.