On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 11:03:27PM -0500, Dave Anderson wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Nov 2009, stan wrote:

> >> Without access to your nameservers it's not possible to be sure, but see
> >> below -- this looks normal to me.

> >> You apparently have a system with multiple names and a single IP
> >> address.  Both cvsup.mch.chs and cvsup.meadwestvaco.com are assigned
> >> address 10.209.142.151, but the reverse-lookup entry can't return both
> >> names.  Given the order of domains in your 'search' directive,
> >> cvsup.mcn.chs is looked up first and so is the name that nslookup
> >> reports, but cvsup.meadwestvaco.com was chosen as the 'official' name
> >> for the reverse lookup by whoever set up your DNS.
> >>
> >Your analysis is correct, in that thier are multiple names (don't ask :-().
> >I have control of some of the nameservers. They are bind 9 on OpenBSD, can
> >you clarify what you mean by "offical name" are you talking about a A
> >entry, as oposed to a CNAME entry?
>
> Sorry I wasn't clear.  I was referring to the *.in-addr.arpa 'PTR' DNS
> entry which provides the translation from IPv4 address to host name.
K, I am starting to understand this now, thequestion is how to fix it. I do
have a PTR record in my 10.in-addr.arpa db. If I wan this NOT to be the
authortative entry for this IP -> name tarnsaltion, so that an authortative
eoll 'pass on by" this Bind instnace and go on to one further down, how can
I acomplis htis?

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?