Q: what's more annoying than top posting?
A: full quoting bottom posters.

On Nov 19, 2009, at 12:57 PM, stan <st...@panix.com> wrote:

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 03:08:25PM -0500, Dave Anderson wrote:
On Thu, 19 Nov 2009, stan wrote:

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 11:24:44AM -0500, Dave Anderson wrote:
On Thu, 19 Nov 2009, stan wrote:

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 11:03:27PM -0500, Dave Anderson wrote:
On Wed, 18 Nov 2009, stan wrote:

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 05:00:02PM -0500, Dave Anderson wrote:
On Wed, 18 Nov 2009, stan wrote:

Can anyone xplain this behavior to me?

Without access to your nameservers it's not possible to be sure, but see
below -- this looks normal to me.

Given the following resolv.conf file:

r...@pm3fw:root# cat /etc/resolv.conf
lookup file bind
search mcn.chs kapstonepaper.com pm3.charleston.meadwestvaco.com
nameserver 127.0.0.1
nameserver 10.209.128.20
nameserver 10.209.128.26
nameserver 10.209.142.158

And:

r...@pm3fw:root# nslookup
cvsup
Server:         127.0.0.1
Address:        127.0.0.1#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:   cvsup.mcn.chs
Address: 10.209.142.151
10.209.142.151
Server:         127.0.0.1
Address:        127.0.0.1#53

151.142.209.10.in-addr.arpa     name = cvsup.meadwestvaco.com.
exit

Why does this happen ? And how?

You apparently have a system with multiple names and a single IP address. Both cvsup.mch.chs and cvsup.meadwestvaco.com are assigned address 10.209.142.151, but the reverse-lookup entry can't return both
names.  Given the order of domains in your 'search' directive,
cvsup.mcn.chs is looked up first and so is the name that nslookup reports, but cvsup.meadwestvaco.com was chosen as the 'official' name
for the reverse lookup by whoever set up your DNS.

Your analysis is correct, in that thier are multiple names (don't ask :-(). I have control of some of the nameservers. They are bind 9 on OpenBSD, can you clarify what you mean by "offical name" are you talking about a A
entry, as oposed to a CNAME entry?

Sorry I wasn't clear. I was referring to the *.in-addr.arpa 'PTR' DNS entry which provides the translation from IPv4 address to host name.

K, I am starting to understand this now, thequestion is how to fix it. I do have a PTR record in my 10.in-addr.arpa db. If I wan this NOT to be the authortative entry for this IP -> name tarnsaltion, so that an authortative eoll 'pass on by" this Bind instnace and go on to one further down, how can
I acomplis htis?

If I'm understanding you correctly, you can't. The only control which I recall offhand that you have over whether a nameserver responds with data from its cache is to set the 'authoritative' flag in your request, which will cause a nameserver with only cached data to pass the request
on -- but you don't want to do this routinely since it defeats the
distributed nature of DNS and so results in overloading the
authoritative servers.

All that the 'authoritative' flag tells you is whether the response came from a server with the entry in its cache (not authoritative) or from
one which has that information manually configured on it
(authoritative) -- so I'm not at all sure what you mean by 'fix it'.

What exactly is the behavior that you want?

I would like to have all programs get the same results as nslookup, that is get *.mcn.chs for the reverese lookup from this machine. I have other
machines configureddiferently in resolv.conf that I want to get the
*.meadwestvaco.com resolution. This has been a long a painful taril, and I thoguht I had what I wanted based upon using nslookup as a test. When I saw diffeent software (nmap in this case) getting diferent resolutin, it was
verry disapointiing.

Um, nslookup doesn't get e.g. cvsup.mcn.chs as the reverse lookup -- it just finds that name first when looking up 'cvsup' because of the order
in which you specified domains in the 'search' directive in your
resolv.conf.  When you asked nslookup for a reverse lookup of
10.209.142.151 it returned cvsup.meadwestvaco.com just like everything
else did.

The 'reverse lookup' for a.b.c.d by definition returns the value of the
PTR record(s) with label d.c.b.a.in-addr.arpa.  Barring DNS spazzes,
this will be the same no matter which machine issues the request. Well,
normally.  There is one special case I'm aware of -- if you configure
your nameservers with 'split-horizon' DNS, they can return different
information depending on the IP address range from which the request
originates.

Thanks for the patient explanation.

I am an idiot.