With every single laptop I've bought/been given over the years, I
was able to run OpenBSD on them almost flawlessly save a few
quick/simple hacks to make anything that didn't work, work.

The one main issue I've had with ALL of them was the wireless
card...maybe I was just unlucky to have gotten ones with crappy
chipsets (like this Broadcom I have now which is totally useless...
I want to stomp on it real badly) but nonetheless it pisses me off.

I want to try and help solve my own problems as well as for the OBSD
community who might also have this particular issue, so I'm looking
to research on how to reverse engineer these things and write drivers
for them.

I know it's not easy, even though I don't understand how hard it is
because I've never done it before, but I do hear that if there's a
hell, it's a place where people are sent to do this for eternity.

So with that reference in mind, would anyone experienced care to point
me in some correct direction? (Which texts to read, which programming
language(s) to focus on, etc.)