On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 5:55 AM, Tomas Bodzar <tomas.bod...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 9:42 AM, Tobias Ulmer <tobi...@tmux.org> wrote:
>> - ability to research stuff yourself, without asking on a ml
>> - etc
>>
>> Your question is naive. If you were up to it, you wouldn't have to ask
>> the equivalent of "How do I become an awesome hacker?".

Very true.  The one thing you didn't mention, and may not be obvious
to an outsider trying to get in, is go to a conference.  There's a
cheap local one everywhere (ruxcon, toorcon, shmoocon, ccc).  Just go
and see what tools people use (but don't talk to anyone unless you're
dying to be embarrassed by how much more a 16 year knows than you :)).
 If you can't do that, the speakers have blogs.  Read them.

> There is similar manual available :-)
> http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html

Like a lot of his writing, it's mostly crap.  I stopped reading after this.

"Real hackers call these people crackers and want nothing to do with
them. Real hackers mostly think crackers are lazy, irresponsible, and
not very bright, and object that being able to break security doesn't
make you a hacker any more than being able to hotwire cars makes you
an automotive engineer."

For the purposes of our discussion, reversing drivers, turns out that
those naughty "crackers" are the people with the best tools and skill
sets.  Reversing a driver is like reversing skype, only about 100x
easier because even the evil driver writers don't try that hard to
obfuscate their code.