On Jan 24, 2010, at 12:15 PM, Ted Unangst wrote:

> Since we have to roll our own because #1, may as well fix #2.  I think
> a better solution is something that runs weekly from shutdown.  I hit
> the power button, I walk away, and the next time I use it everything
> is up to date.  It never interrupts my work or slows down startup.

I have to vote against this.

on my laptop, shutdown needs to happen _now_.  running a disk intensive
operation sporadically at shutdown when my battery is at 10% is a guaranteed
way to trash my filesystems. and leave the job half finished.

a couple of options occur to me:
        1. introducing something like anacron to base ( maybe stealing features
from
fcron )
        2. setting weekly to start at boot with a high nice level
        3. adding a FAQ section for workstations/laptops telling people to use
anacron