On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 02:48:35PM -0500, Ted Unangst wrote:
> Cron runs the weekly update script every Saturday at 3:30am.  If you
> use a laptop or other desktop, your computer probably isn't on then.
> So the locate and whatis databases never get updated unless you run it
> by hand.

I run the daily and weekly scripts by hand on my laptop, and I think
that that's the way it should be.

If your laptop is on at 3:30am, then you're probably doing something
important and don't want to be bothered by the daily or weekly security
scripts.  For example, if you've placed files in /tmp then the daily
script might erase them (and you'll be left wondering "where did my
files go?").  I've also had an incident where the security script ran
while I was burning a CD and it caused a buffer underflow.

For that reason, I've disabled the cronjobs.  I run /etc/weekly every
time I install new software (to update the whatis database).  I run
/etc/daily once a week when I backup my hard drive.