On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 8:14 PM, nixlists <nixmli...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 7:53 PM, Denis Doroshenko
> <denis.doroshe...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> aren't you missing the point of original comment made by Otto?
>>
>> consider a situation, when all the processes in the system "are
>> behaving", none of them violates their rlimits, but they all together
>> have allocated more memory than the box contains (RAM + swap).
>
> The idea is to limit memory such that running out of RAM+swap is not
> possible, or unlikely. You can set the limit on the allowed number of
> processes as well.

$ ulimit -m
971876
$ dmesg | grep real\ mem
real mem  = 1039691776 (991MB)

So... this box should run only one process?

$ ps -auxww|wc
      54     713    4936

If I were to use the max memory usage of each process, I would need a
53Gig ram machine?

--
http://www.glumbert.com/media/shift
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGvHNNOLnCk