frantisek holop wrote:
the kernel will kill random processes?  are we talking about linux's OOM
here or openbsd?  since when is this in openbsd?  i seem to recall
some debate where openbsd devs found that idea ridiculous.  i know i do,
and the machine should panic instead of starting shooting down processes.

-f

Am I missing something here?
If the OS runs out of (any) memory then there is already a serious problem. In such a case I would prefer that the kernel kills some random applications but protects itself, so that I can login on the console and check what's going on. It might even be possible to make a clean reboot (avoiding a long fsck).
A kernel panic is IMHO the worst option.

?
Please explain your point of view, or why the devs consider it a bad idea (a quick search on the list didn't show anything). (I understand that in case of kernel development a panic would be useful as it shows information, but I consider the "daily usage" case)

regards,
Robert

PS:
What is the actual situation in OpenBSD? Does it have some OOM killer?