Per-Olov Sjvholm <p...@incedo.org> writes:

> None said anything about a password.. From where did you get that? I don't
> have a plain text password.

A port knocking sequence is for most purposes a password, encoded in a
16 bit alphabet.  That's it - port numbers run from 0 through 64k,
although the practical range for portknocking purposes would likely
exclude the more commonly used ones, mainly in the lower parts.

I've been in the process of almost getting around to writing an
article about how this limits the usefulness of portknocking as a
security measure, there's always the question of round tuits.
keywords: is your password more secure if it's stored as unicode?, the
well known password guessing botnets, and so forth.

The question of proporitonality, as in the importance of your data vs
the strength of your security measures is certainly relevant, but you
should also take into consideration how much complexity any given
security measure adds to your setup versus the actual gain in security.
Hm. There might actually be an article in there.

- P
http://bsdly.blogspot.com/ http://www.bsdly.net/ http://www.nuug.no/