On 16 feb 2010, at 11.17, Bret S. Lambert wrote:

>>> There is a way to do port knocking in pf without any external help. Maybe
>>> you can figure it out. I will not give more hints since port knocking is
>>> dumb idea better spend your time reading on authpf(8).
>>>
>>> --
>>> :wq Claudio
>>>

>> How do you use authpf from a IPhone or similar...
>>
>> The reason is to use and RSS reader that cannot autenticate. I want some
sort

> An RSS reader that can't authenticate, but can ping a series of TCP/IP
ports?

Where did you get that from? I didn't say it could... No but all devices with
an RSS client, even phones, have a web browser that can have a bookmarked IP
and obscure port.

>> of security for it even though it's not critical. Therefor I want to just
have
>     ^^^^^^^^
> That word you keep using...I don't think it means what you think it means.
> Unless you've got a mechanism to randomize the ports on every port-knocking
> attempt, you're essentially using a plaintext password on the internet.

None said anything about a password.. From where did you get that? I don't
have a plain text password. I don't even have a password at all as RSS readers
with auth in not widely spread at all. So I don't have any auth... Just access
through IP. My data is not that critical, but as said I want to limit access a
little bit by forcing the clients to first open their browser and access a
specific IP and a specific port. Then the PF should trig on that block in PF
and open from the client IP to the RSS server. Of course a client can sit
behind NAT and therefor give access to many computers. But again, the data is
not that critical. And it's not likely they will guess the link.

/Per-Olov
--
GPG keyID: 5231C0C4
GPG fingerprint: B232 3E1A F5AB 5E10 7561 6739 766E D29D 5231 C0C4