On Friday 26 February 2010 21:25:51 Richard Toohey wrote:
> On 27/02/2010, at 3:04 PM, Joel Wiramu Pauling wrote:
> > Let me clear on this.
> >
> > Yes you can.
> >
> > Follow the BSD licence terms (none of which say anything about for
> > profit) and you are fine.
> >
> > There is absolutely zero legal reason you cannot put together a cd of
> > OpenBSD and sell it. The official CD has some further licencing
> > restrictions, so if you were to copy it verbatim it would constitute a
> > breach of these terms.
> >
> > But if you create your own and sell it. No problem.
>
> "No problem"?  Maybe not (I don't know) a legal/licence problem, but you
> are biting the hand that feeds / killing the golden goose.
>
> http://www.openbsd.org/
>
> "The project pays for the development environment and developer events by
> selling CDs ... These finances ensure that OpenBSD will continue to exist
> ..."
>
> But I sense another troll ...

I don't.  A lot of people are genuinely confused & curious about this BSD
thing, the operating system and license.  The number of times I've explained
(or tried to) the BSD license vs. GPL numbers in the dozens now.

People here are far too quick to label questions like this as trolling.  Sure,
there are people who like to stir the pot up, but there are a lot more
clueless people out there--clueless meaning not understanding, where
we all were, at one point.

--STeve Andre'