On 05/01/10 15:52, Harrell wrote:
Hi list,

Not no off-topic, but a little unix history oriented question.

In hier(7) OpenBSD describe /usr as "Contains the majority of user utilities
and applications".

In
http://www.usna.edu/Users/cs/delooze/teaching/IC221/Lectures/LN02/class02.html
they
say that /usr "Stands for Unix System Resources. Contains system utilities".

In wikipedia they say /usr is "*Secondary hierarchy* for read-only user
data; contains the majority of
(multi-<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-user>)user
utilities and applications"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesystem_Hierarchy_Standard

So my doubt is: Is "usr" an abbreviation of "user"? If that is so (as as
hier(7) can be understood), why /usr contains mainly "system resources" and
not "user resources"? In fact only root has w permission inside /usr, so it
seems more a system directory. I know that a system directory contains
resources for the user, but, just for curiosity, what is the origin of this
directory name? A user place o a unix system place?

Thanks.

Harrell

When you boot into single user mode, what is available?
/ which includes /bin /sbin /etc /dev

This includes all the basic system utilities.

If you want fancier stuff, you need to mount /usr /home /var etc