On Sat, May 01, 2010 at 10:52:54PM +0200, Harrell wrote:

> Is "usr" an abbreviation of "user"? ... just for curiosity, what is
> the origin of this directory name?

Your question has already been answered, but in case you are looking
for documentation, here's Dennis Ritchie (as in K&R C)in the 1978
(July-August) Bell System Technical Journal, pp. 1953-4:

  "It is common for the totality of user files to be too voluminous
  for a given device.  It is then impossible for the directories of
  all users to be members of the same directory, say /usr.  Instead
  they must be split into groups, say /usr1 and /usr2;"

And Steve Bourne (as in Bourne shell), same issue, p. 1981, referring
to user "fred" setting the $PATH environment variable:

  PATH=:/usr/fred/bin:/bin:/usr/bin

Finally, looking at our old 1984 SVR2 source distribution, it is
evident that the Bell Labs guys preferred abbreviations to acronyms.
The distributed root filesystem consisted of:

  bck bin etc dev lib stand tmp

The /usr filesystem contained (in cpio format!):

  adm bin catman games include lib lost+found mail news preserve
  pub spool tmp

Not until the top level of the source tape do we hit an acronym:

  cmd games head lib stand uts

where uts="Unix Time-sharing System", which I guess is hard to abbreviate;)

Yes, I know this is somewhat off-topic, but I think it's fascinating,
like, "Why'd they call it 'awk'?"  Now there's an acronym for you.

Today, hier(7) rules.

--
Barry