On Sat, 1 May 2010 22:52:54 +0200 Harrell
<elbibliotecarioci...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> Not no off-topic, but a little unix history oriented question.
>
> In hier(7) OpenBSD describe /usr as "Contains the majority of user
> utilities and applications".
>
> In
> http://www.usna.edu/Users/cs/delooze/teaching/IC221/Lectures/LN02/class02.html
> they
> say that /usr "Stands for Unix System Resources. Contains system
> utilities".
>
> In wikipedia they say /usr is "*Secondary hierarchy* for read-only
> user data; contains the majority of
> (multi-<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-user>)user
> utilities and applications"
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesystem_Hierarchy_Standard
>
> So my doubt is: Is "usr" an abbreviation of "user"? If that is so (as
> as hier(7) can be understood), why /usr contains mainly "system
> resources" and not "user resources"? In fact only root has w
> permission inside /usr, so it seems more a system directory. I know
> that a system directory contains resources for the user, but, just
> for curiosity, what is the origin of this directory name? A user
> place o a unix system place?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Harrell

In many situations knowing where a name comes from is really helpful,
but in other situations, knowing where a name came from is completely
misleading since over time, definitions change. The name of the "/usr"
directory is the latter.

At one point in time in the ancient past, the /usr directory is where
user directories were once stored, but over time the usage of this
directory changed. The claim of 'usr' being an abbreviation for Unix
System Resources is a "backronym," (i.e. an abbreviation created
after the fact).

        jcr

--
The OpenBSD Journal - http://www.undeadly.org