On 08/13/2010 04:02 PM, Daniel Ouellet wrote:
But I also like my network servers
to have been "field proven in the nasty wilderness" by others
for some time before starting to use them myself in production,

Men, that's rather very selfish! So, you want everyone one else to do
the work, but not you!? You don't want to participate in testing things
and improving them, but rather, just sit back and demand that you are
served on a silver plate? Or may be gold even here...

Yes, I'm "selfish" enough to want to run stable and secure software on
my *production* systems. It's hard enough to find software that
works really well as it is, and especially if it faces the Internet
and the Bad People on it who want to exploit your systems, even if
you limit yourself to "stable" releases from quality driven projects.
So I prefer to do testing on designated test systems, instead of taking
unnecessary risks with the production systems I'm responsible for.

But I bet you're the kind of guy who gladly volunteers to put yourself
and your family in a car running freshly written, and poorly tested,
0.0.0.0.0.1-alfa version brake system software to help iron out the
bugs in it. Or are you also a selfish bastard, just like me? ;-D

/Fredrik Henbjork