Dave Anderson wrote:
On Fri, 13 Aug 2010,j...@fixedpointgroup.com  wrote:

sendmail is fine if you have a few users at a relatively quiet domain,
all of whom you want to have system accounts on the mailserver.
You imply that sendmail is _only_ fine for such limited uses, which is
certainly not true in my experience; I'm curious as to why you believe
this.

please don't try to put words in my mouth, it makes you look stupid. at no point did i say what you claim i 'implied' i.e. that it is the *only* use case, you assume too much.

sendmail is a piece of software that is historically notorious for security problems and has only been tuned up to get in the openbsd tree with input from some very sharp people. that says nothing about its ability to handle load, which it obviously can do just fine based on the ubiquity of its past and present usage as an mta.

It doesn't require (or, AFAICT, benefit in any way) from users having
any sort of account (let alone a system account) on the mailserver
itself, and it's not hard to set up multiple domains on the same server.

how about you *read* my earlier email before responding to shit that wasn't in it. try setting up a mailserver that does the following with sendmail and you will see the limitations of sendmail:

- mail delivers to either mbox or maildir on the same machine as the mta
- there is a per email address login for users who do not have a system account - host multiple domains and want separate mailboxes with separate logins to access each mailbox - authentication is done against a single password store for pop/imap and smtp auth - a copy of every email passing through the server is kept for auditing purposes

sendmail works great when the final destination is a system user who may or may not run an mta on their workstation. this used to be one of the most common ways to configure a unix system e.g. students at a university who have shells and can register for classes on the same system.

While I haven't needed to do it myself, there's plenty of anecdotal
evidence of large, busy mailservers running sendmail.

call CNN, this is serious news. thanks for letting us all know about this!

I'm _not_ arguing whether sendmail is better or worse than the
alternatives; while I've looked at a few others, I've never used any of
them -- so I don't have any real basis for an opinion.  I _have_ been
using sendmail (on a light-duty, mostly-home mailserver) for 15 years.

so why, exactly, did you choose to respond to my email? oh, that's right, you're a douchebag. i love rhetorical questions.

thanks for cutting snippets out of my original email, taking them out of context and being annoying.