----- Original Message -----
| On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 06:05:28 -0700 (PDT)
| "James A. Peltier" <jpelt...@sfu.ca> wrote:
|
| > No I cannot just put and get. Moving hundreds of gigabytes of
| > medical imaging data around with FTP/SSH would be out of the
| > question.
|
| Why?
|
| I imagine you know but FTP/SSH != sftp

Yes I do.  I was lumping FTP,SCP, SFTP into that group of choices.

| Do you think ssh is too slow and unreliable?

I don't think it's too slow, I know it for my purposes

| Don't you have a duty to secure that medical data for many reasons,
| obviously not jeopardising lives being paramount via reliability first
| and speed, does nfs offer that.

Yes, but the data is mostly scrubbed of personal info.

| Seems all you need is interfaces for sftp?

At face value it would seem that way, but you need to remember that each and
every SFTP/SCP is a duplicate of the data.

| >> and have their home directories be mounted on each of those
| >> platforms.
|
| >>I am using Solaris, OS X, GNU/Linux and Windows mostly
|

| If your trusting a windows gui!!! with this data then why are
| others using the commandline put and get. Are your windows users using
| dir and copy.

No, the NFS share is re-exported out via Samba as a native CIFS mount to
Windows machines.  It's a simple copy paste for them

| I do understand that you may be reluctant to change to something tried
| and tested but then your moving to nfsv4.

It was the most logical step considering where we were and our needs.

--
James A. Peltier
Systems Analyst (FASNet), VIVARIUM Technical Director