----- Original Message -----
| On Oct 29 06:54:07, James A. Peltier wrote:
| > <snip>
| > |
| > | Yet moving hundreds of gigabytes of medical imaging data
| > | around with NFS is OK. More specifically yet, moving them
| > | around with NFSv4 is OK, but moving them around with NFSv3
| > | is not. Right?
| > |
| > | Let's stay technical: what exactly does NFSv4 do for you in your
| > | situation that NFSv3 does not? "Kerberos security", as in "users
| > | authenticate themselvzes"? "Firewall friendly"? How exactly is
| > | NFSv4 more "firewall friendly" than NFSv3?
| > |
| > | (Don't get me wrong: I want a multi-platform shared storage too.
| > | I do it with NFSv3. You use NFSv4, Kerberos, and Samba. How
| > | exactly
| > | is that better?)
| > |
| > | Do you need file access or file transfer, in the sense of
| > | Callahan's standard "NFS Illustrated" book?
| > |
| > | Jan
| >
| > Okay, while we do employ NIS/NFSv3 now. this is on a completely
| > segmented network. The data that is being transferred is separate
| > from the rest of the network.
| >
| > In the new setup this will not be the case.
|
| You should have stated this clearly in the original mail:
| "we have a properly segmented/isolated network where we use
| NFSv3 to share data. Now the network will no longer be segmented
| and/or isolated. So I think I need NFSv4 now".

<snip>

I had already pointed out that this network was segmented from the rest and I
was not asking if I should use NFSv4.  I was pointing out why someone might
choose NFSv4.  That fact that I am choosing to use it is somewhat irrelevant to
the thread but it exploded from the question of "why not to use NFSv4".

--
James A. Peltier
Systems Analyst (FASNet), VIVARIUM Technical Director