Thanks for the reply, no I'm not saying anything 'broke' or 'did or din't' work, I'm just reporting what I'm observing just in case anyone goes 'ah yes' that's a problem with X. To sumarise my original e-mail:

4.7 AMD64 RE(4) does 'not' function with tagging enabled, the nic works fine otherwise.

4.8 i386 DC(4) tagging works fine with the same port on the switch with 'no' changes to the switch configuration.

The OpenBSD vlan configuration is consistent between the two, all be it with a change from re(4) to dc(4)

I will perform a 4.8 AMD64 upgrade on the 4.7 box tonight and attempt again the vlan configuration to see if this solves the problem. I also have an 8169 based adapter to hand, I'll try installing that an moving the vlan config over.

Cheers for the patch, if all else fails I'll try this against thre re(4) driver.