On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 6:43 AM, Josh Smith <juice...@gmail.com> wrote:
> misc@,
>
> I recently acquired a playstation 3 and have been running into some
> difficulties playing it online behing my openbsd gateway.  After doing
> some research and testing I have been able to overcome most of these
> problems by appending the static-port option to my nat rule.  I
> understand the concept that this prevents pf from modifying the source
> port on the packets as they are natted.  But I am curious as to what
> implications "flipping this switch has".  At least I'm guessing there
> must be something since it is not the default behavior.
>

> Thanks,
> --
> Josh Smith
> KD8HRX
> email/jabber:B  juice...@gmail.com
> phone:B  304.237.9369(c)

Naively, I would say you might run into conflict if two different
internal hosts on your network try to access the same remote host from
an identical source port. It feels like pf would have trouble finding
which internal host to send the responses to.

On a small network, it seems very unlikely to happen though.