On Fri, Jan 06, 2017 at 02:35:46PM +1100, Damian McGuckin wrote:

> Does the FAQ need a section of tweaks for email clients?
>
> I tried to use 'alpine' on OpenBSD 6.0 with the standard SMTPD therein.
>
> A pkg_add'ed 'alpine' just sits there trying and trying until you go into
>
>       Main-Menu -> Setup -> Config
>
> and change the SMTP server to 'localhost'. I have never had to do that
> in my life with 'alpine' on any other system that has used sendmail or
> postfix.

First time someone reports this, but if you have to setup 'localhost' it
means that somehow the local enqueuer (aka sendmail) didn't work and its
likely related to missing compat code.

Do you know the options passed to the sendmail command by alpine ?

> How many other email clients need tweaking for OpenSMTPD?

We've done compat code in the past to make some old MUAs work out of the
box, I'm not aware of tweaks required with modern MUAs but people may be
shy and not reporting that they used a tweak ?

I use mutt, thunderbird and the android client, I don't know about other
developers but I suspect none uses a MUA that requires a tweak otherwise
it would be fixed.

--
Gilles Chehade

https://www.poolp.org                                          @poolpOrg