Apologies is this is really dumb, but I have an OpenSMTPD running on an system with 1 real internal network (em1) and 1 sandbox network (pppx0)
which is the network that NPPPD uses to mess with packets.

        em1     10.10.10.0/24
        pppx0   10.10.1.0/24

My definition of a local is anything on those networks. I want any such machine to be able to send email internally and externally. The external interface 'em0' does not let SMTP packets through from the outside world.

I am using the very basic configuration

        table aliases file:/etc/mail/aliases

        listen on lo0
        listen on em1

        accept for local alias <aliases> deliver to mbox
        accept from local for any relay

Anything from the VPN sandbox can get to anything on 10.10.10.0/24. No
firewall rules get in the way.

Doing a telnet to port 25 of the SMTPD server from a machine on the VPN, say 10.10.1.219 which resolves to the same network as the host, i.e.

        telnet 10.10.10.1 25

and then grok'ing SMTP, you get

  helo ex219.example.com
  250 fire1.example.com Hello ex219.example.com [10.10.1.219], pleased to ..
  mail from:<r...@example.com>
  250 2.0.0: Ok
  rcpt to:<dami...@esi.com.au>
  550 Invalid Recipient

The same happens talking from say 10.10.10.98, a system on the local network.

Doing the same sequence on the system(10.10.10.1) on which OpenSMTP
does not result in an invalid recipient.

If I remove the last line and change it to

        accept from any for any relay

Everything works. This seems a bit open to me.

What is defined as local and how do I convince OpenSMTPD's concept of local to reflect mine, i.e. both

        10.10.10.0/24 and 10.10.1.0/24

I do not want to 'listen on' the NPPPD sandbox VPN network because I have
no idea what that does or how it does it.

I tried putting both the networks

        10.10.10.0
        10.10.1.0

into a file called networks and created a table

        table networks file:/etc/mail/networks

and did

        accept from source <networks> for any relay

But that did not work. Makemap objected to the format. And using it raw,
i.e. without creating a '.db. version failed also (in the same way).

Regards - Damian

Pacific Engineering Systems International, 277-279 Broadway, Glebe NSW 2037
Ph:+61-2-8571-0847 .. Fx:+61-2-9692-9623 | unsolicited email not wanted here
Views & opinions here are mine and not those of any past or present employer