On Tue, Sep 18, 2018 at 10:06:49AM +0300, Reio Remma wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I'm curious as to what determines the password scheme used by OpenSMTPD on a
> Linux system (CentOS 7 in my case). When setting up the system I ended up
> with using SHA512, because it seems to be what works both in OpenSMTPD and
> Dovecot, but would really like to use Blowfish instead. Dovecot seems to
> work with it, but is there any way I can make OpenSMTPD also agree with it?
>
> Thanks,
> Reio

that's an easy one:

OpenSMTPD uses the crypt() function provided by your system and does not
care about the password scheme used as this is a system-specific detail.

On modern systems the crypt() function encodes the algorithm, rounds and
salt as a prefix to the encrypted password, as shown below:

     $2b$09$fEv/zNZ/5hELpDH3Vq93AuygRLnySIcNXH78rq9WxPPbZJxmcdk5m
     |  |  |                |
     |  |  |                |__ encrypted password
     |  |  |__ begining of salt
     |  |__ beginning of rounds
     |__ beginning of cipher

But this encoding is only valid for my operating system, yours will have
a different one and the only thing you need to care about is if password
was generated using the same crypt() function that will be used validate
it.

I suggest your read the crypt(3) and passwd(1) man pages of your system.

--
Gilles Chehade

https://www.poolp.org                                          @poolpOrg