I'm already using a shared SQL user database between Dovecot and OpenSMTPD, so all is fine in that sense. :)

I now actually recall running into the same issue when I was setting the system up - I ended up using smtpctl encrypt to generate the shared passwords. Alas, no way to provide rounds to smtpctl encrypt. :)