Hey,

I struggled with this issue as well on FreeBSD.

This worked for me after a lot of tracing.

1. Create your PW hash with doveadm:
echo `doveadm pw -s BLF-CRYPT` | cut -d'}' -f2

This will cut the {BLF-CRYPT}… header created by doveadm.
Opensmtpd uses crypt() to figure out the hash type and should role with it.

2. Tell dovecot that your password hashes are BLF-CRYPT so it recognises them
without the {BLF-CRYPT} header

passdb {
    driver = passwd-file
    args = scheme=blf-crypt /usr/local/etc/mail/passwd
}

This way you can use the same passwd table both for opensmtpd and dovecot.

HTH
Andreas