On Sat, 2011-01-08 at 12:36 +0000, Mikael Bouillot wrote:

> Right now, I set "Pitch behaviour" to "Vinyl emulation" (because
> "Pitch independent time stretch" sounds like c**p), and thus the
> pitch and tempo change simultaneously when I change the rate of the
> track. In theory, if I combine both modes (VE and PITS) I could
> change the pitch without changing the tempo. In practice, I use
> Sox to manually change the pitch of the tracks in advance when I
> need it. It's 20 minutes of intense brain activity.
> log(rate)/log(2)*12*100, that kind of stuff.
>
> I don't want that: I want a slider in the GUI.
>
> How hard should that be?

Soundtouch, the library that changes the speed without changing the
pitch, has this capability built-in.  It should be fairly easy to add a
new ControlObject (basically a variable accessible from many modules and
setable with the GUI or MIDI) that controls this functionality in
soundtouch.  start by looking at engine/enginebufferscalest.cpp to see
how mixxx talks to soundtouch and see what you can do.

As for the coding style of mixxx, it does seem a little cobbled together
at times, and I think that comes from its long heritage and having a lot
of maintainers.  From what I gather it's *much* nicer now than it used
to be.  Any project this large is going to be awkward to learn at first
-- mozilla and openoffice have famously difficult designs.

Owen