Seems to have been written by someone who is not fully familiar with F/OSS
(BTW I highly recommend this - http://codingfreedom.com/buy_download.html
) but at least they say ... "this isn’t your average software. As open
source, users are actively encouraged to get involved to make Mixxx better
with every release.".

The criticism about the FX engine is a valid one. I'm currently putting
together a Blueprint about the way this could be tackled in the context of
F/OSS and the current state of Linux audio software. I currently have two
instances (4 decks) set up with Ardour3 with the beautiful sounding Calf
LV2 plugins. Echo and Reverb plug-ins sound very smooth and silky. Mixxx
could simply use LV2 plug-ins itself but another way is using Jack to hand
off FX to other applications. That would also reduce feature bloat,
handing off special functions to other F/OSS projects. Linux cannot use
Windows VST plug-ins (although there are some Linux VST one's). Ardour3
can run Windows VST plugins through Wine but they are *not* stable.
Another possible way of tackling this could be to have separate branches
for Mac/Windows and Linux. Mac/Windows would use Windows VST plug-ins (of
which there are many) and the Linux version would either use LV2 plug-ins
directly or hand off FX through Jack.

Here are some observations about the review.

"I can’t find anything to really moan about"

I think he likes it !

"As we at DJWORX continue to root for the underdog"

Which "underdog" would that be ?

"... help shape Mixxx into a real player in the DJ software industry that
can generate some sort of income to allow it to develop and prosper."

Mixxx is real. Mixxx is developing and prospering.

On Mon, May 13, 2013 4:44 pm, Owen Williams wrote:
> http://djworx.com/update-free-dj-software-mixxx-reaches-1-11-0/
>
> It's a very positive review, but it's clear where Mixxx is lacking.
>
> "Going back to my “almost complete” comment. When I say almost, at this
> time the effects engine is woefully inadequate. The team have clearly
spent time on a lot of key features, but seem to have left the effects
engine on a back burner. For me, if Mixxx is ever to move beyond being
open source free software, it needs more effects as an absolute
> priority. I know it’s incredibly daunting to be faced with the
combined 1-2 of Traktor and Serato’s iZotope effects superiority, but
this just shows how important a feature is it to users. Actually,
calling it a feature is a disservice — effects are as important as
loops, hot cues and any other essential DJ tool."

> And apparently our version numbers are too low??  That's a weird complaint.

> "Graph Databases" is the definitive new guide to graph databases and

~~~
Home site - http://djbarney.org

~~~
Home site - http://djbarney.org