On Tue, 2013-05-14 at 10:37 -0400, RJ Ryan wrote:

> Hope everyone is on the same page now with where effects stands. If
> you want to be involved please add comments to the design doc. Also,
> the effects branch has had a working skin and 2 simple flanger effect
> chains (just to prove you can have multiple) for over a year now.
> Still waiting on the great influx of effect developers to add cool
> effects :P.

As for what Sean said about effects needing a skin makeover -- I don't
think we can afford to wait for the mythical skin 2.0 before
implementing effects.  RJ told me that we should be able to do tabbed
interfaces with our current engine.  For Effects 1.0 it should be enough
to turn the Library section of mixxx into a tabbed interface with tabs
for Library and Effects (and eventually Preferences if someone wants to
tackle that please!).  That's the UI we want anyway and we can do it
now.

Also for 1.0, we will be working on a flexible backend for effects but
we'll just be including a static collection of simple effects that
people would expect to find: flange, reverb, delay / echo,
highpass/lowpass knob, maybe a bitcrusher or other distort.  Based on my
experience watching dozens of big-name DJs play out, 90% of the time
they only ever use the Pioneer Mixer's high/low knob :).  If we wait for
full VST / LV2 / LADSPA with a chain editor it's going to be forever.
We need to at least throw a bone out to our users to prove that effects
are going to happen.

To help the ball start rolling, I'm going to pull the effects branch and
engine_control-refactor over to github for easy branching/merging.

http://p.sf.net/sfu/alienvault_d2d