The idea is to use a none or a big (115) column count for the mass auto
format, to get around the code cluttering.

The 80 size may be part of a second clang script that is intended to be
invoked manually during editing.
If clang produces less readable code, the developer is still there to fix
it.
It should be allowed to exceed the 80 columns for good reasons.

This is the way I am already working.

> On 06/10/2015 10:05 AM, Daniel Schürmann wrote:
>
>> @Max: Are the current line length in Mixxx working for you?
>>

> I haven't noticed anything with the current line lengths. In the end it
> doesn't matter much for me which line-length we choose. I just wanted to
> mention that 80 seems to be a value that works well for a large variety of
> display-sizes and work flows.
>
>  If yes, we can continue with the 80 as a "not a strict requirement".
>>

> It doesn't work like this. Either we use a auto formatter or we don't.
> Things like 'not a strict requirement' cannot be expressed in the rules
> for clang-format afaik, nor am I aware of another that could. (I suggested
> clang-format because it is independent of the used tools).
>

>  We may use 80 as a setting while editing (Ctrl-Shift-F), but not break
>> lines during a mass auto-format.
>>

> I don't know how this would be possible with clang-format.

>>> On 06/10/2015 08:20 AM, Daniel Schürmann wrote:
>>>
>>>  I think we have two external limits for code length, the historical 80

>>> 80 is also good for larger screens if you want to view files next to each
>>> other. Or Compiler Errors and Code. I'm not sure about IDE's but with
>>> tools
>>> like vim/emacs/gedit is the best value if one wants to split the screen
>>> is
>>> 80 for me (tested on a FullHD 14" display without scaling and pointsize
>>> 12). I can also live with a 100 but 80 seems to be most compatible for