Thanks for clarifying what occurred last year.

Yes, we need to make sure we do not accept students who will fail. There
is no need for Mixxx to fill a specific number of spots, so there should
not be any students accepted in a hurry. Perhaps accepting only one
project is too limiting, but I think three is too much. Maybe we could
accept a maximum of two students per year. If there is only one
applicant who seems like they will follow through on getting code
merged, we do not need to accept a second applicant just to fill the spot.

That is an interesting point that it doesn't matter much if a student is
in it for the money if the community gets something positive out of it
at the end. Requiring smaller PRs with community review would help with
that.