Produce small merge-able, steps was one of our major goal for the time-line
the students have to setup for the their project.  Unfortunately there
wasn't not many early merges in the last season, because this somehow
conflicts with the desired code quality and the rule not to merge
unfinished PRs or things that introduce a architecture changes of an
experimental nature.

However, I am pretty satisfied with the outcome of last year, we have the
new library layout on the way to master and we have a new keyboard mapping
with a solid design, that is waiting for the last polish.
The same is true for the LV2 branch from an earlier year

GSoC allows us to start big changes, that are not doable (or not done) in
small PRs. For example the library layout was a pending project since 2012
and the pile of work was so high and probably to fuzzy that no one was
willing to spend his spare time on it. Similar is true for the keyboard
mapping branch or the LV2 branch.

The problem of relying on more community feedback, is that it is very slow.
It does not match with the 40 h working week of the student, who does not
want just wait. I have softened encouraged the student to ask for opinions
on mixxx-devel, sometimes it works well, sometimes not.

What can we improve?

We should once more look closely to the student steps and make them
actually merge-able.
We may encourage the students to interact even more with the community.
We should try to decouple each steps that the community has time to review
the changes without blocking the students progress.

I do not think we should artificially reduce the GSoC slots, if we have N
excelent projects and a N mentors with time and fun, we should apply for N
slots. This gives the best chance to gain a long term contributor which is
IMHO the major benefit of GSoC.