I decided to compare using the --reduce-hf switch of mpeg2enc to other
methods for reducing noise and the bitrate, after having ignored it
previously.  I was pleasantly surprised.  To take an example, I
converted noisy DV footage to DVD format with -q 5 and -b 8500:

no denoising                : 8300 kb/s (mostly hitting the upper bound)
yuvdenoise                  : 7700 kb/s
--reduce-hf                 : 7400 kb/s
yuvdenoise + yuvmedianfilter: 6000 kb/s
yuvdenoise + --reduce-hf    : 4900 kb/s
all of the above            : 3600 kb/s

Note that while --reduce-hf or yuvdenoise alone is only a modest
improvement, together they reduce the bitrate substantially.  But
here's the thing - I can't see the difference between yuvdenoise alone
and yuvdenoise with --reduce-hf.  There's no free lunch, so can
somebody please tell me what sorts of artifacts I need to look for?  I
know what yuvdenoise (temporal filtering) and yuvmedianfilter (spatial
filtering) look like, but unless my eyesight is worse than I think,
--reduce-hf is a lot more subtle.  I was assuming that fine detail
would suffer, but I don't really see that.  But then again my camera
doesn't really capture too much fine detail.

Dan