Hi!

> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> I decided to compare using the --reduce-hf switch of mpeg2enc to other
> methods for reducing noise and the bitrate, after having ignored it
> previously.  I was pleasantly surprised.  To take an example, I
> converted noisy DV footage to DVD format with -q 5 and -b 8500:

        Out of curiosity what threshold (-t) and depth (-d) values did you
        use with yuvdenoise?  Or did you go with the defaults (5 and 3
        respectively)?

> no denoising                : 8300 kb/s (mostly hitting the upper bound)
> yuvdenoise                  : 7700 kb/s
> --reduce-hf                 : 7400 kb/s
> yuvdenoise + yuvmedianfilter: 6000 kb/s
> yuvdenoise + --reduce-hf    : 4900 kb/s
> all of the above            : 3600 kb/s
>
> Note that while --reduce-hf or yuvdenoise alone is only a modest
> improvement, together they reduce the bitrate substantially.  But

        Can I say "I told you so?" now? <grin>

        I have found the combination of light to moderate (-l 1 or -l 2 with
        yuvdenoise) and -N to mpeg2enc to produce excellent results without
        noticeable softening of the image and the bitrate's perfect for
        DVDs in the ~80-90 minute range.   To get a 2hr6m movie to fit
        I did fall back to '-q 6' the other day.

> here's the thing - I can't see the difference between yuvdenoise alone
> and yuvdenoise with --reduce-hf.  There's no free lunch, so can

--reduce-hf|-N
    Reduce high frequency resolution - useful as a mild noise reduction

        It does say "mild"  but, as you mention, it is extremely effective
        and without apparent side effects.

> somebody please tell me what sorts of artifacts I need to look for?  I

        I thought the effect was supposed to be a very slight reduction in
        sharpness.

> filtering) look like, but unless my eyesight is worse than I think,
> --reduce-hf is a lot more subtle.  I was assuming that fine detail
> would suffer, but I don't really see that.  But then again my camera
> doesn't really capture too much fine detail.

        I think all that is telling us is that there is information present
        which is not visible to the human eye (at least via a TV or monitor)
        but which of course the encoder "sees" and has to deal with.

        Thanks for the chart - it's quite similar to the one I'd done for
        myself a while back when I was experimenting with the options.