On Fri, 7 Nov 2003, Bernhard Praschinger wrote:

> >         It's a possibility but I think you may have uncovered a bug in the
> >         threading.
> Unlikely. ;)
> Because Andrew check that some weeks ago, where the multithreading code
> was broken.

        There is a problem in that area though.  Try forcing I frame only
        encoding with "-g 1 -G 1" :)

> Could it be a memory problem ?
> On my machine mpeg2enc buffers 111 Frames. That is about 100MB

        That's a possibility I suppose.   The other thing that might cause
        a problem is a 'limit' set by 'limit datasize xxx' - if that's
        set too low then mpeg2enc won't be able to allocate enough
        memory.

        One other thing that comes to mind...

        Having multiple versions of mjpegtools on a system might cause
        the problem due to the libraries that get installed into
        /usr/local/lib.   When building the new version I wonder if it's
        possible that the programs are linking against the older libs
        in /usr/local/lib instead of the newly compiled ones in the
        source tree.   That can produce a program that looks ok but
        fails in strange ways.